Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Antarctic Explorer - A Character Concept for "Thousand Year Old Vampire"

"Thousand Year Old Vampire" is a solo-rpg system and a perfect opportunity to explore history and tragedy. Your character starts off like any human, from any time in history, and is afflicted with a curse (or gift) and slowly becomes more monstrous while losing any vestiges of memory or humanity.

My friends have called this "the perfect road trip rpg" and can be just as much fun as a collaborative story as it is with the true solo experience.

I rattled my brain on a unique start, trying to subvert the normal Eastern Europe Count Dracula vampire tropes, and below is my favorite idea thus far. An Antarctic Explorer born at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Normally, you would start off in an earlier time of humanity, but it would be interesting to postulate on what the future past 2024 could be if good ol' Ira Soren survives that long! Feel free to use and abuse.

Name: Ira Soren

Memory I: I am Ira Soren, born 1790 to a family of merchant sailors in County Cork, Ireland. I have always dreamed of adventure into unknown lands.

Memory II: My father, bedridden, gifted me his knife before I departed on the Antarctic Expedition.

Memory III: My childhood friend and I learning how to sail together in a homemade dingy on the River Lee.

Memory IV: The Captain awarding me with the Mercantile Marine War Medal for my role in The Great War and inviting me to join the Antarctic Expedition.

Memory V: I get lost in a blizzard when we shipwreck on the coast of Antarctica, I fall down a hidden chasm and stumble my way into the den of the cave creature, which whispers promises of giving me a new life in exchange for my old life. How else would I be able to see my family and homeland again?

Mortals:

1. The Captain of the Exploratory Vessel to Antarctica.

2. My childhood friend who last minute came on the expedition

3. My father with ailing health

Skills:

1. Sailing

2. Navigation

3. Survival

Resources:

1. Knife gifted from my father

2. Antarctic Explorer Kit

3. Mercantile Marine War Medal


Immortal
: A pale lichen covered and frostbitten cave creature living hunched in an Antarctic Chasm for untold eons, surround by the bones of native animals and men from the ages. Who knows how long this thing has been here and if it even wants to leave. 

Mark: Finger and toes severely frostbitten but do not fall off or rot. Skin becoming more pale and eyes glazing over white.

There it is! And the fun thing about "Thousand Year Old Vampire" is you never truly know where you'll end up! Will he be able to escape Antarctica? Will he be caught up in more World Wars? Will he ever see his family or homeland again? I feel this character concept provides the foundation for a unique and emotional experience for poor, afflicted Ira Soren.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment